Sunday 11 February 2018

Skeletor

Skeletor is the second painted mini for my Masters of the Universe Project (after Orko), and  my first for He-Month.

My order from Qminis (click for link to Qminis Etsy store) arrived mid-week, but then I was hit by a heavy cold, so I didn't feel up to prepping minis until yesterday. I put together Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Beastman and my four Hover Robot proxies, then tackled painting Skeletor today.

The paint scheme is super-simple, mostly influenced by the original toy and the 1983 cartoon, although I painted the shaft of Skeletor's Havoc Staff in near black to break things up a little.

The Qminis sculpts are clearly based primarily on the 1980's Filmation He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon rather than the original figure line, and this keeps them mostly nice and straightforward to paint (not that the action figures were especially fussy in their designs).

I think Skeletor has a really visually distinctive design even over thirty five years on, stronger than his rivals Hordak and especially King Hiss. And I am glad the mini kept to the classic elements.

I have nearly finished my first draft rules for Masters of the Universe gaming, and the bottom is the game card I have done for Skeletor. He-Man will be a better warrior, while Skeletor is more crafty and cunning, and of course is a master sorcerer.

Finally, if you are looking for MotU minis and proxies, I did a post earlier in the week giving a list of options (click for link).

27 comments:

  1. A very speedy paint job dude. Skeletor has turned out fantastic I really like the blue skin. It looks spot on imo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome sauce, PulpCitizen. Good to see your painting mojo is still in force. Lovely subtle colours on the blue. Top stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers BK. :)

      I am still umming and ahhing as to whether I should have gone lighter with the blue. :)

      Delete
  3. Nicely done sir! Now you’ve made me want to go back and revisit my blue again. Perfect job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kieron. :)

      I am a little unsure and wondering if I should have gone a little lighter?

      Delete
  4. Very nice. Your coloration is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work! Looks perfect, from the shading down to the colors themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a licensed property, the Qminis are quite reasonably priced compared to others and the poses are suitably dynamic. Nice work on Skeletor, Leon. Looks exactly as he should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jez. :)


      I think the pricing is excellent, even factoring shipping and customs charges I was happy with the cost of a set of 6 minis. :)

      Delete
  7. It's not often that you get to paint a blue and purple figure, is it? Turned out nicely, mind :-) ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. :) You are right that it is an unusual colour scheme - the MotU stuff seems pretty psychedelic in its colour choices. :)

      Delete
  8. Yet more temptation! Really nice job on this villain, the blue is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jamie, and apologies for placing temptation in your way. :)

      Delete
  9. You have done a great job.EPIC! The Colour scheme is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. They are fun to paint, that's for sure. :)

      Delete
  10. Skeletor!!! Color scheme is spot on, sir, spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much FourEyedMonster. :)

      I am pretty pleased with him. :)

      Delete
  11. Wow, just saw this post (been out of it for a bit and still catching up), those figures are awesome, and your paintwork if great too, if they had been available back when I started my conversions...well it would have saved a lot of time. Best of luck with this, but be warned it's addictive and there are an awful lot of character's in the range (still I guess not as many as GI Joe).

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Roger, and good to see you back in he blogospshere! :)

      Delete
  12. Hi. These look great, and I just ordered some minis of Qminis Etsy page.

    Are your skirmish rules available anywhere?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Warduke.

      Thanks for that. :)

      Are you on Facebook?

      If so, look me up, otherwise contact kitbashgames at gmail dot com

      Delete