Sunday 1 October 2017

Zomtober 2017 (Week 1)

My Zomtober Week 1 mini is in the bag, phew!

I had a slow painting month in August, so Zomtober is just the ticket to help me pull up my totals for the year.  Having the mutual support of other Zomtoberists is a great spur for me to get 'something done', so well thanks and done to the 20 or so of us who have decided to take part this year.

Zomtober has helped me paint at least 30 minis over the 5 years it has been going, and this is the 24th modern Zombie I have added to my collection due to Zomtober (taking me to a nice round 40 in total).

I am not pursuing any kind of theme this year, just clearing odds and ends from years' worth of backlog Zombies, including this mini from Studio Miniatures. I imagine that prior to rising as a Zombie, this one had its neck chewed and hand chewed away then his neck broken before dying - very unfortunate!

I used this mini to try out how I shade and highlight what is a fairly new colour for me (the brown used for the long sleeve t-shirt), since I'll be using the same colour on another mini I have coming up. I may add some new acquisitions to the Zomtober painting queue, but that will depend on overall progress.

29 comments:

  1. Nice work. Maybe the neck was broken post-mortem, zombies aren't exactly known for their awareness of health and safety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice start to Zomtober, PulpCitizen. you also made me laff with your "I may add some new acquisitions to the Zomtober painting queue" comment - I add to my queue all the damn time - just can;t help myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxkleric. :)

      Minis have been ordered to add to the queue - hoping to use some Zomtober painting momentum to do a batch paint in the latter half of the month assuming minis and basses arrive in time....

      Delete
  3. Great work. Skin colour like real rotten zombie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. It is my usual recipe for the skin tone. :)

      Delete
  4. Terrific job, and same as Andy - I love this mini, so it looks like a visit to the Studio Miniatures website straight from here!
    I love the skin tone you've used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wargame Addict. :)

      I have a load of the Studio metal zeds, enough for the next few years of Zomtober!

      My skin tone is Vallejo Model Colour Green grey, washed with AP Soft Tone, and high;lighted with Green grey adding VMC Basic Skin Tone.

      Delete
  5. Excellent job mate 40 is a good number to get to.I can only boast of around 50-60 I think so far but they are a very mixed bunch from Mantic to Studio to Wargames Factory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. :)

      Give me another 3 or 4 years and I'll catch up so long as you don't paint any more zombies! :P

      Delete
  6. Good job Pulp. The bloodstained shirt is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry. :)

      A lot of my early Zombies didn't have the bloodstains, but now they are pretty much standard issue. :)

      Delete
  7. Very nice. I like the skin tones and bloodstain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent Start to Zombtober.

    Was Unable to comment yesterday as Internet connectivity issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint. Now I just need to maintain momentum! :)

      Delete
  9. Great stuff, the un-natural position really makes him look undead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. The metal Studio Minis Zombies are mostly excellent sculpts with tonnes of character. :)

      Delete
  10. Great looking zed PC and another to add to your ever growing horde.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Echoing everyone's comments above, figure looks brilliant! Is the figure metal? If so, I'm definitely going to look into that whole line, not too much of a fan of multi part plastic figures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivor - thanks for that. :)

      Yes, Studio Miniatures originally did its Zombies in metal, so there are a lot of sets they produced in white metal. :)

      Delete
  12. Awesome paint job and this might be a minor detail but those blood stains on his shirt look very realistic!!! :)

    ReplyDelete