Sunday 12 October 2014

Zomtober 2014 (Week 2)

This was a rush paint-job to hit the deadline, and I am not ashamed to admit that. Still, despite that, and a pretty crappy mini, it is done, and another walker adds to the meagre horde.

I generally like the Studio Miniatures range of metal zeds, but this is poor and shows off the worst aspects of some of their minis IMHO, with some ill-defined areas, weird lines in parts that don't really make sense, and a flipping huge bobble head.

Since I don't plan to chuck out the 'bad minis' of theirs that I have picked up, it was due for painting, and it was already under-coated, which made it prime choice for quick painting this week.

I only had limited time for this mini due to working on a big final essay for a course, so this is what it is. It is another addition to the newest 'Zombie triad' (the 'greens'), which means I will try and complete the trio next week.

Two weeks in and two deadlines met for me. So far, so good. More importantly, it has been cool seeing other Zomtober works from around the minis blogosphere - well done guys!

24 comments:

  1. Nice addition and glad you made it to the deadline :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you mean about the sculpt although I've seen much worse. It's perhaps more noticeable for you because the miniatures you usually paint are especially nice sculpts.

    Having said that, your 'quick' painting is still pretty damn good and she's a fine addition to the horde.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Keiron. :)

      I think a little more time will be taken on the next one (I hope!).

      Delete
  3. Nice job dude!
    Even if she was rushed, she still looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this mini and your "quick job" is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely job Sir, your colour palette for the skin is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael; the skin recipe I use has been pretty much unchanged since I did my first ones. :)

      Delete
  6. Regardless of bobblehead, I think she looks ace. Keep in mind she may well have died from nasty elephantiasis of the noggin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For every mini there can be a story! Thanks Dai. :)

      Delete
  7. Progress is still good dude. And when she walks with the other dead heads no one will notice the bobblehead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed; she will blend in to the mass one hopes. :)

      Delete
  8. Haha, one first seeing the figure (before reading your post) I instantly took a shine to it and decided that I wanted one for my own horde.
    Nicely done, and if it's as bad as you say it is, your paint job has certainly converted it to being extremely acceptable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I haven't put you off the mini!

      And thanks for the kind words. :)

      Delete
  9. The bobblehead is definitely a bad one, but you made the rest look like a right proper zed. Hey, any paintjob you can walk away from is a good one, right? :-) The best thing about a horde is not all of them need to look stellar, some are just space fillers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed; as part of the larger whole she won't be too noticeable. :)

      Delete
  10. Not the best of the SM minis but you've done a decent job in 'saving' it, especially with the admitted rush, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Zombie Ad. :)

      Hopefully the next one will not be as rushed. :)

      Delete
  11. Well done Pulp, at least your hitting the dead lines...I am still lagging behind. Or would that be shambling behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Terry. :)

      The thing with shambling is that it never stops a surprise attack! :)

      Delete
  12. Its a very good quick job and despite the figure's flaws will fill out the horde nicely.

    ReplyDelete