Monday 31 July 2017

Steeler (G.I Joe)

Steeler is a bit of a touch-stone for me, so I am very happy to add him to the G.I. Joe ranks. Back in 1983, my 10-year self was fortunate enough to receive the Z Force Battle Tank and Steeler as a Christmas present, and I loved it. Motorised vehicle that could go forward, backwards in different directions? What was there not to love! That Action Force (Z Force was one of the four arms of Action Force in the canon) tank was a repaint of the original G.I. Joe set of the MOBAT and Steeler. The character was adapted to the Euro-centric Action Force and the colour scheme changed.

I decided to use the G.I. Joe version colour scheme as my primary influence, recalling a kind of bright olive green for his fatigues on my toy version so working that in instead of the standard green I have been using. Then there was the case of differentiating three different types of 'black' and ultimately it was a fairly straightforward paint-job.

In the Marvel US G.I. Joe comics Steeler is a character who has some key moments in earlier issues then is featured sparingly afterwards. But he has a tank to command, and that is the key thing!

I hope I can carry some of the momentum of the past couple of months into August and progress further into my G.I. Joe Project.

G.I. Joe Minis Painted (13)
G.I. Joe team: 10*
Cobra: 3**
Arashikage: 3*
Iron Grenadiers: 1**
Oktober Guard: 0
Red Shadows: 0

18 comments:

  1. Awesome sauce, Pulp Citizen. Love the red on the visor and great green too. Marvellous addition to your "G.I. Joe" family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Blaxkleric. :)

      I am pretty happy with how he turned out. :)

      Delete
  2. Good choice limiting your palette on this one. He looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Z-Force.... ah yes, I remember them! With the free figure on the front of the comic ;)

    Cracking job on this, nicely limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. :)

      Although I opted for the GI Joe scheme, the Z-Force version was very much in mind for the fatigues. :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice piece! :) My sad ten-year-old self kept leaving through lego and other toy catalogues ... over and over again ... imagining I had them in my hands and was playing with them. I guess that explains me collecting loads of model kits now without ever knowing if I can finish them all ... LOL ... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FourEyedMonster. :)

      I think we had similar experiences as youngsters. :)

      Delete
  5. Very nice. I too grew up more with Action Force and loved Z Force battling Red Shadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Carl. Part of me is tempted to do a Z Force selection too.... :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome job he looks spot on dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I was happy with how he turned out :)

      Delete
  7. Wow you don't check back for a while, and you have all these excellent new additions! loving all the new figs, (especially the red ninja, below this one), but they are all really top notch. love this keep up the top work sir!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger, although in the past couple of weeks my painting has slowed right down (although I did paint 6 Dust Quonset huts so that is something). :)

      I hope to pick up the pace again in the next couple of weeks. :)

      Delete