Sunday 30 July 2017

Red Ninja Viper (Cobra)

Red Ninja Viper (or Red Ninja depending on which version of the source action figure you refer to!) is my latest addition to my G.I. Joe Project, serving the enemy forces of Cobra. I prefer the longer Red Ninja Viper name as it just sounds cooler to my brain and ear.

The character is far from a leading light of the canon, and is among a plethora of ninja types that thread through the G.I. Joe mythos. It is a character 'after my time' so to speak, and only one I came across while researching options for the G.I. Joe Project. In Squad Wars games I am probably going to pitch him as an individualised character, but effectively an 'extra' type for bulking out the Cobra forces with some extra individuality - that may change though. The mini itself was a spare copy of Storm Shadow that I had from a friend's private commission, so be sure to expect a white-clad ninja before too long.

For painting I went with a bit of a hybrid of the various incarnations of Red Ninja/Red Ninja Viper. I started painting the mini at the same time as Jinx but fell behind with this one while stuff like Stalker, Timber, Shipwreck and Short Fuze got finished instead. Thankfully I have been able to retain some painting momentum and was able to get the mini finished while working a little on some other characters.

I reckon Red Ninja Viper may get a run out before too long as Brummie has recently gone into painting overdrive (check out his blog to see what I mean - link here), meaning that collectively we have a lot of characters to choose from to start gaming with.

Coming up I have a mix of Joes and Cobra in various stages including: Baroness, Duke, Gung Ho, Rock N Roll and Roadblock. Of course with my random approach to painting that could mean something else entirely like a Cobra Ninja gets painted instead....

G.I. Joe Minis Painted (12)
G.I. Joe team: 9*
Cobra: 3**
Arashikage: 3*
Iron Grenadiers: 1**
Oktober Guard: 0
Red Shadows: 0

16 comments:

  1. Tip top "G.I. Joe" posting, PulpCitizen. Love the red you've achieved. the different browns on the belt, boots and bow work really well too. Great addition to your Ninjas, and good to see you keeping apace of Brummie ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. :)

      I am very happy with the red in particular. :)

      As for keeping pace with Brummie, he has painted around twice as many as me now with his recent Cobra troopers surge. :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent looking miniature. Lovly uniform colour.
    best regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another really nice paint job, and the tones used really compliment one another. Nicely done. :0).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tom. :)

      I was quite mindful of the limited palette with the various browns, so I am happy with how he turned out. :)

      Delete
  4. Excellent model and paintjob Pulpcitizen.
    Funny enough it is a character I remember having the action figure off in my youth 😊.
    Not sure the position of the Katanas is right and even useful, but it is a great pose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wouter. :)

      The katanas issue is a non-issue for me thankfully. :)

      Delete
  5. Looks great. You now need to do the rest of the Hand... 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieron. :)

      The Hand eh? That is more likely to be through some KM stuff....

      Delete
  6. Nice detail work picking out the details of this mini! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job dude :) love the red it's got a nice contrast with his gear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I was pretty happy with how the red turned out, I think one of my better 'reds'. :)

      Delete