Monday 20 June 2016

Sgt. Slaughter (G.I. Joe)

Only my second painted mini this month, and a bit of a surprise, even to me. A couple of months ago I would not have envisaged on starting yet another project, but I suspect that in painting Sgt. Slaughter I may have done just that!

I first encountered G.I. Joe through Action Force and Marvel UK in the 80's. Over time I grew to understand to rich background more and more and the distinction between Action Force and G.I. Joe, but then left it until IDW comics relaunched G.I. Joe in 2008. There are 4 or 5 IP's I love above all others, and G.I. Joe would certainly be up there. I was lucky enough to get hold of this mini and others from someone's private commission and they are not available commercially.

While not my favourite character (that would be one of several: Beach Head, Snake Eyes, Chuckles, Lady Jaye, Flint or a few others - they have a lot of characters!) , I thought former WWE/WWF star turned G.I. Joe drill sergeant Sgt. Slaughter would be a good tester for the olive colour I had in mind for some of the Joe's uniforms. I didn't follow the exact colour scheme on the action figure versions, but went for something that felt right with those points of reference.

The base is by Tiny Worlds, and I will certainly be getting more - I am very impressed with the first ones I picked up from them.

I have been very inspired by the thought of painting some more G.I. Joe minis, to the extent that I have been working on some game ideas, and re-purposing some previously unused game development work. The rules I am working on have the working title of Squad Wars (there is a reason or two behind that title), so hopefully this year I may get some G.I. Joe (and Cobra!) gaming done. Watch the blog to see how I get on.

G.I. Joe Minis Painted
G.I. Joe team: 1
Cobra: 0

14 comments:

  1. Looks awesome dude. Liking that green as well. Since you mentioned it I will have to go through some of my greens and see what colours I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. ::0

      Gung Ho next, probably in the same green. :)

      Delete
  2. What a character, well painted.
    I do think the green is a bit too bright though, but that's a matter of personal taste I guess.
    I absolutely love the idea of a GIJoe game and look forward to see what you come up with. You have my full support 😉.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wouter. :)

      I will probably try and work on a few different greens to get a nice variation. :)

      Delete
  3. Very cool, Pulpcitizen. I'm sure I saw some not-Joes that are commercially available -might have to do some digging. I know Hasslefree do a not-Cobra Commander that's very nice. I shall be watching this project with interest. Go Joe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. :)

      Hi have that not-Cobra Commander you mention - originally by ERM it will be joining the ranks for sure! :)

      Delete
  4. What a great character, not seen one of these before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great characterful little sculpt and I consider myself lucky. :)

      Delete
  5. Great character to work on. Very nice work on the skin tones too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much FourEyedMonster. :)

      Expect some allies and enemies before too long. :)

      Delete
  6. There are Action Force miniatures?!?!? I had tonnes of the old figures too... both the stiff armed and later articulated ones. The comic was a joy too... sounds like they aren't commercially available? Good for my wallet at least :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few more I was lucky to obtain, and will use stuff like the EWRM/Hasslefree not-Cobra Commander to add to the range. :)

      Action Force was my gateway too. :)

      Delete