Sunday 24 July 2016

Son of Batman 01 (BMG)

Son of Batman 01 is the first BMG mini I have finished in seven weeks, mainly due to a big painting slow-down in June, and also a conscious effort to get stuff done for other ranges. That said, I plan to finish the other Sons of Batman in the next few days, so more BMG will be on the horizon. I painted this one first to quickly test out how I wanted to tackle the colours, so it is very probable that the other two will be tackled as a pair. Unfortunately the pictures make the eyes look a little wonky; I don't feel they are as misaligned up close. Not a great paint job, but it will do.

The Sons of Batman are Henchmen options for Batman crews naturally, and were featured in the Dark Knight Returns comic from the mid 80's. They started out as members of the Mutants gang in that story, and with the Batman's return, some became vigilantes inspired by the legendary hero.

In game terms they are additional Henchmen choices, and give an alternative to the various Cops. This one is very cheap at 14 Reputation and $100, and seems ideal for sitting back and guarding/contesting an enemy Objective, likely equipped with a Whistle. If I put a Batman crew together at some point, I can imagine using at least two of the Sons of Batman, but possibly not all three since I feel the Reputation cost for one is too high for what he does.

BMG Painting Summary
BMG characters owned: 226 (added: a lot - Kid Flash, Starfire, BtAS Black Canary, Frank Miller Oliver Queen, Robin/Carrie Kelly and Sons of Batman, Frank Miller Joker and Robotic Dolls, John Diggle/Spartan, TV Flash, TV Reverse Flash)
Percentage of owned characters painted: 20.8% (47 models; the percentage dropped because of the 16 new additions)

16 comments:

  1. Looks awesome dude. Will nice to see a full vigilante crew rather than the cops that are always present. Looking forward to seeing the other two finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I ma hoping the other two will be done within the next couple of days - I am flitting between them and a couple of other minis in terms of painting right now! :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely job. I don't think I'll get these myself. Partly because I have cops already (I know, I'm cheap), but also because of the roof attached to Carrie Kelly's leg annoying me immensely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kieron. :)

    The roof decision is equally annoying for me, and still trying to work a viable solution for it with my limited sculpting skills. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks like a character from the old Batman tv series. Very retro, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wouter. :)

      I think part of it is the very simple design Frank Miller created at the time. :)

      Delete
  5. Nicely done Sir, a new one on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff PulpCitizen. I own this set myself and you're tempting me no end with such a terrific paintjob. I'll certainly be coming back to this posting (and the others) when I do put brush to mini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Blaxkleric. :)

      I hope to finish the others within the next couple of days, so watch this space! :)

      Delete
  7. I like it. Gives you more options with the BM crew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Cheers Carl. :)

      Hopefully the other two will be done soon enough. :)

      Delete
  9. Good job on the painting. His sculpt looks like those comical olden day villains, the ones we were apt to laugh at rather than fear. Nowadays villains are so dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      Yes, the design definitely has a retro vibe to it. :)

      Delete