Saturday 9 July 2016

Groot

Groot is the first MUMG mini I have painted, and something I tackled as I felt I could finish it pretty quickly, once I decided to use a similar approach to the one I used for Father Oak for my own Pulp City collection (click for link).

The technique involved painting a grey-brown base coat, and then two lighter quick dry brush coats, with some olive green dry brushed to bark edges. This was followed by painting some but not all vines olive green. Then I applied a very thinned down wash of Gryphonne Sepia, followed by Soft Tone, then Devlan Mud. Finally I picked out some edge highlights with VMC Stone Grey, and painted the eyes and mouth. All told, maybe an hour and a half over 3 sittings. It is no award winner, and maybe a little lighter in colour than is preferable, but I am happy with how it turned out, especially to get it finished so quickly with recently losing my painting momentum.

I really enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but have no desire to tackle them for MUMG in the near future as a faction since a couple of sculpts leave me a little cold. They are not bad, I am just not grabbed by them. However, I do foresee me getting to grips with Avengers as I love the team and prefer their sculpts, which is my way of saying that Groot won't be joined by other GotG minis any time soon!

14 comments:

  1. Marvellous painting PulpCitizen. I really like the dusky tone, almost Silver Birch look, you've created with this miniature. Wonderful stuff my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Blaxkleric. :)

      Nice to get a mini done quickly (by my slow standards!). :)

      Delete
  2. Looks fabulous dude! Great technique with great results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. :)

      Like I say, I think I wanted him a little darker, but he will do, and don't want to go too far with too many layers of washes and muck up the overall effect. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. A nice mini to paint, for sure. :)

      In addition, one of the better casts I have had from KM - decent metal, nicely cast, and went together well. :)

      Delete
  4. He turned out nicely Pulp! If only all the miniatures could be painted to such a standard in 3 coats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Terry! :)

      The next one up is more traditional in approach (for me at any rate!), but thankfully is nearly finished. :)

      Delete