Wednesday 11 October 2017

Mimic (Fantasy Gaming)

A bit of an odd one this, amid this month's Zomtober outputs, and mainly finished because Zomtober has seemingly reignited some painting motivation.

Mimics are tried and true Dungeons & Dragons monsters that have popped up in other franchises such as Japanese console rpgs. They are creatures which inhabit dungeons pretending to be treasure chests etc. in order to pounce on unsuspecting adventurers!

This sculpt is from Reaper Miniatures and is cast in their Bones material. I did a poor job of clean up, and I have to say I really don't like the Bones material at all.

Cheap is great, but in hindsight I would have probably preferred to do this one in white metal, and would likely have cleaned it up better had that been the case.

I have a Fantasy Gaming Project looming (probably using Tooth & Sword minis for the protagonists and many/some of the antagonists), so the Mimic is intended to be part of that. I have already picked up another couple of Mimics from another manufacturer so expect to see something similar in the not too distant future. More details in due course!

17 comments:

  1. That is pretty good work.

    A lot of minis are coming out similar to the Reaper Bones figures. They are not bad and a little soft but their main redeeming feature is that they are cheap. It helps that they bounce better than metal but there is something about the heft of metal minis that just does it for me.

    I seem to be painting a lot of fantasy stuff at the moment so I willbe keen to see what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Fred./ :)

      I am pretty pleased with how it turned out, but I am not a fan of the material, so won't be picking up more Bones unless necessary with no alternative. :)

      Delete
  2. Great end result considering the material. I totally agree with what you have to say about Reaper Bones plastic, regret the few bits I have bought in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. :)

      Yeah, I am not a fan of Bones based on this first and possibly only experience.

      Delete
  3. Ah! Mimics, Rust Monsters, Gelatinous Cubes and Green Slime - and all the other D&D "classics"!
    You've done a great job on that Reaper Mimic, and you've got me waiting for the follow-up post with your teaser "Mimics from another manufacturer" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wargame Addict. :)

      I am hoping to get some more classics painted up for the latest rule-set I have written, plus some theme sets of Monsters. :)

      The other Mimics are just awaiting the arrival of an order of resin bases before painting starts on those. :)

      Delete
  4. I don't like the Bones material at all either, which is why I think you're doing yourself a great injustice as to just how well this piece has turned out. It looks awesome imho.

    I can't say though that I'm particularly keen on you suddenly doing a Chibi campaign and posting about it. I too have the "Tooth & Sword" kickstarter minis and don't need tempting to get them out and paint them. Sadly though your excellent postings always make me want to paint what you're doing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxkleric, and apologies if I am leading you astray! :D

      Delete
  5. Great job dude despite the material issues. It will be interesting when I get onto my own bits I picked up in the material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate.

      I think if you get the clean up right you will be fine. Just won't be buying more Bones if I can help it.

      Delete
  6. I like the Bones material, and subject matter, as it allows me to buy some minis for the grand kids at an early age. It starts their decent into geekdom before they are old enough to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point Phil which I hadn't considered - low price as an entry into the hobby is a good thing. :)

      Delete
  7. I also thought Bones was a good idea until I painted it. It just lacks the necessary definition for washes to cover my inadequacies as a painter.

    You, however, have made a cracking job on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieron. :)

      Definitely a hard material to like, but I take on board Phil's point that it is useful material as an entry point.

      Delete
  8. Sweet work on everything from the mouth to the wood grain!!!

    ReplyDelete