Wednesday 25 October 2017

Mummy (Chibi Fantasy)

This Mummy was painted up as a 'quick win', done in roughly two hours (which for me is very fast, although many hobbyists paint, and speed-paint, much more quickly than me!). I tackled this one to essentially to get me back on track with painting my Zomtober mini for Week 4. The figure is produced by Impact Miniatures as part of their Chibi Adventurers and Monsters range. I picked it up to complement my Tooth and Sword Shambling Zombies (since its fits with those as they cast humans as the unliving).

I went with a super simple approach, base-coating with a mix of Vallejo Tan Earth and Ivory, then dry-brushing with additional Ivory, then highlighting with the same mix to tidy up, working up to near Ivory. The skin was painted with Green-Grey, mixing in a very dark brown for shadows, then highlighting up with Green Grey mixed in, and a dab of the Tan Brown-Ivory mix. The eye was done with a near-black mix with a red iris slightly lighter in colour to its outer edge. I still have a bit of work to improve on how I do chibi eyes, but I reckon that will come with time.

My plan is to get some fantasy gaming in in the next few months, basically as soon as I have a couple of parties and plenty of Monsters painted up.

18 comments:

  1. I love how you're painting these Chibi mini's :-)
    They've got bags of character and you're really bringing it out with your brushwork. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wargame Addict. :)

      There will be more chibi-fantasy stuff to come. :)

      Delete
  2. Is this figure suitable, size wise, for a `child friendly' Bloodbowl Team? Do they do zombies, vampires, ghouls and werewolves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minis is on a 25 mm round shoulder base and is probably around 28-30 mm tall.

      Meridian do some Zombies (a set of 5), but I don't think I have seen a vampire, ghoul or werewolf yet (although Impact keep adding to this range). :)

      Delete
  3. I love the paintwork. I have a real love hate thing with the Chibi stuff. If I was starting from scratch and there was a lot of it about I would probably like it more and may even buy it. The cartoony style has something about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred. :)

      I get that it is a style that evokes mixed responses in people and certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea. Fo my own part I am planning to do a set of around 30-40 minis in this style (I have done around 7 so far). :)

      Delete
  4. Not sure why you didn't count this towards Zomtober, as that's what Mummies are, culturally specific zombies.

    Anyway. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does count as Zomtober, but I see it as its own thing too. :)

      And glad you like it. :)

      Delete
  5. With chibi miniatures the face is everything, especially the eyes. And I think you absolutely nailed that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Wouter. :)

      I am still learning what I want to do with the eyes, but I was happy with this (one-eyed) creature and what I managed to do. :)

      Delete
  6. What an eyeful ;-) Wonderful stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent job man!!! He looks really cute. Well done on his eye, bandages and teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. :)

      For a quick paint-job I am quietly pleased with him. :)

      Delete