Sunday 21 May 2017

Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing is my latest painted BMG addition, and is yet another Sidekick. Swamp Thing primarily sits within the Poison Ivy crew, but his Affinity to Batman makes him a Free Agent in Batman crews. I am not especially looking to build up either crew right now, instead I wanted to get a mini painted very quickly and Swamp Thing seemed to fit the bill, once he was readied....

Assembly of the mini was straightforward and just required a bit of green-stuff filling at the various joins (none were a snug fit, and each join had a gap ). However, before that I had to remove the 'surf log' the mini was attached too. Knight Model's way of solving the fact that they sculpted the mini with a stance wider than their designated 'Large' model base size was to mount him standing on a log, which in no way fitted the urban basing style I have for the line - all my BMG minis are mounted on bases from the same range (Fraktured by Dragon Forge). That meant a lot of clipping, sawing and filing to remove the log, and with assembly included, meant that prepping the mini probably took longer than the painting.

The painting was intentionally quite rough to begin with, with a base layer, a variety of brown and green washes, with some dry-brushing, then picking out areas of colour, all of which made painting quite a big mini pretty simple.

Although I said I wasn't looking at developing my Poison Ivy or Batman crews right now, I like the thought of Swamp Thing coupled with either Clayface or Solomon Grundy. Swamp Thing is a costly but powerful, potentially hard-hitting and seemingly durable character, and could lead to lists quite unlike those I usually go for. Hmm, thinking hat on....


BMG Painting Summary
BMG characters owned: 280 (added: nothing further)
Percentage of owned characters painted: 23.6% (66 models)

18 comments:

  1. Well done, what a great job. I have this one, but still have to put the chap together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very nice job, and an equally nice write up. :0).

      I particularly appreciate the brief write up on the method used as I have a big box of zombies that I may now take a similar approach to painting; just swapping the palette out.

      EDIT: Deleted the original and re-posted due to typos.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tom. :)

      Make sure you join us for Zomtober 2017! :)

      Delete
    3. Each year a few of us exhort fellow bloggers to paint some Zombies and/or Survivors, at least one mini each week for the weeks of Zomtober (October) - an example: http://eclecticgentlemantabletopgamer.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/zomtober-2016-is-coming.html

      Delete
    4. Cool. :0). The image on the post is also a really helpful reference point; as that is the look I'm going for with my horde.

      Delete
  3. Swampy looks awesome dude. Nice work! I look forward to facing him. The second occasion now I have come across the large fella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. :)

      We definitely need to get some games in soon. :)

      Delete
  4. Top job, PulpCitizen. Like Michael, I actually own this one, and have even built him up. But painting him... ah, well, that's another story; especially when this terrific looking paintjob is still fresh in everyone's minds :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxkleric. :)

      I look forward to seeing yours when complete. :)

      Delete
  5. Fantastic looking swamop colour! really great!
    regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. :)

      I am pretty happy with how the colours turned out. :)

      Delete
  6. The model and the way you painted him are fantastic, so many shades of green.
    Not fan of the base as it currently is, it looks a little too 'dry'.
    I always imagined how he would leave a trail of swampy water and mud behind.
    You could still use the base and splotch some glossy varnish mixed with a green wash under him 😊.
    Still, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wouter, thanks for that. :)

      The base stays as it is simply because I want all my BMG minis to have as closely consistent basing as possible. :)

      Delete
  7. Ha ha ... you lied! You're next mini was NOT normal at all. XD Awesome, awesome work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      Yeah, Swamp Thing kind of 'jumped the queue'. :)

      Delete