Sunday 23 April 2017

Hugo Strange

Another BMG mini done, following renewed motivation spurred by finishing Prisoner 05 and Joker, although Hugo Strange proved somewhat infuriating in the painting! The pale greys I was mixing up as the base layers to the 'white' looked fine until painting on the 'white' which made them look too dark. I stepped away from my usual choice and now realise that was a mistake!

While Prisoner 05 and Joker were cases of finishing part-painted stuff, Hugo Strange was done from scratch over a couple of days - he just took longer than planned due to the 'white' and then dropping him at one point (clumsy me!). I hope to finish off another couple of part-painted BMG minis very soon.

With so many BMG minis still to paint I am not entertaining thoughts of repainting Hugo Strange, so I accept him as he is. Even though I have been a fan of the character since a memorable story back in the 1980's, to be honest he is not likely to make it to my gaming table any time soon, if at all. The main reason being that I just don't see a place for him in any of my more likely crews since his rules push him to be surrounded by Arkham Asylum Inmates and Free Agents with 'Mental Disorder' rules. He offers buffs for relevant models, but at a cost of being the cost equivalent to a couple of Henchmen and not being able to take Catwoman - including her Arkham City VP generator version. For me he simply does not offer enough value in what he does, especially as many of my games are in tournaments where I feel he would be lacking. Mileage may vary though.

BMG Painting Summary
BMG characters owned: 270 (added: nothing)
Percentage of owned characters painted: 22.6% (61 models)

20 comments:

  1. Terrific work PulpCitizen. His white is particularly impressive imho. Good to see you in the "BMG" zone currently - lots of lovely minis being posted :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. I finished another BMG recently (yet to be posted) and have recently started work on the Damian Wayne Robin, and have a part-painted Zsasz to finish, so there should be a least a couple more to come soon.

      Delete
  2. I fully appreciate the difficulty in pulling off white that looks right. I've never been able to so it!

    How did you achieve that look? I have a box full of skeletons (well, two boxes, but who's counting) that I think that would really pop if they were done in that style. So I'd really love to know what the steps involved were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. :)

      My usual method with white is to work up from a light grey to an off-white, mixing ratios of 2:1, 1:1, 2:1, then full highlights of off-white.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the information. :0).

      I look forward to giving it a go when I decide to paint the skeletons. Whilst I know I can't paint to such a high standard, at least being armed with the right knowledge will allow me to do the best I can.. And it might stop my skeletons looking so grey! :0).

      Delete
    3. Glad to help. :)

      For the skeletons maybe consider working up from a brown grey base; something like Vallejo's Stone Grey.

      Delete
  3. That looks impressive, especially the white coat; really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Repainting him? I think he looks amazing. The white in the picture is very well done and you even succeeded in making it visually attractive.
    I don't know what he looks like in real life and perhaps the picture is enhancing the colours and contrasts, but to me he looks like a job very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic mate. The white looks great to me! I think he is worth a punt out in some friendly games perhaps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. :)

      There are other minis I'd be far more tempted to give a run out to be honest.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know you'd done him. He looks great. He's another on my list of models to get because they're proper Batman characters which I don't yet have a version of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kieron. I have managed a few BMG characters this month, and hope for one or two more before the end of the month. :)

      Delete
  7. Great work on the whites and greys ... you make dull colors look, well, not dull at all. ^_^

    ReplyDelete