Sunday 30 April 2017

Emperor Penguin

In painting Emperor Penguin, I have now finished six BMG minis in just under two weeks, putting me well on target for the annual target I set for the range, as well as helping me get back on track with my painting overall. I am pretty happy with the results as I set out to paint up a mini in a day (well, an afternoon in reality); I am not planning a Penguin crew any time soon - no, I chose the mini as I thought I had a good chance of starting and finishing it in a single day. That said, I quite like what I see in game terms...

Emperor Penguin (also known as Emperor Blackgate in the comics) is a fairly recent addition to the batman rogues gallery. He starts off as a number-two to the Penguin himself, then sets his boss up in order to take control of his crime operation. Soon after he took a combination of Bat-verse serums (venom - Bane's stuff and Man-bat serum) with some help from Poison Ivy to become superhumanly powerful - as you do - and later takes the name Emperor Blackgate following his incarceration.

Which brings me onto his game rules, and I have to say, I like what I see. As far as Leaders go, Emperor Penguin offers very good durability with Defense 4, Endurance 9, Tough Skin and Regeneration. This makes the fact that he is geared up for close combat a much more palatable option, and makes him a less vulnerable option than Penguin, but at higher Rep cost and at the loss of some Funding.

BMG Painting Summary
BMG characters owned: 280 (added: new Penguin crew, Penguin Lieutenant, Reaper, new Catwoman, Arkham Knight Sniper, Arkham Knight Nightwing)
Percentage of owned characters painted: 22.9% (64 models)

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful deep blue on the robe, PulpCitizen, and lovely subtle shading on his suit underneath. Great painting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxkleric. :)

      The blue on the robe is a mix I plan to use on a few minis going forward. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks awesome dude. How big is he? I may still consider him as a new leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. :)

      30 mm base, but tall like a lot of recent releases.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. Not a model I'll be picking up myself as he's from that period of time that never happened...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kieron. :)

      I think some good stuff came out of the New 52 even if I don't care for the initiative as a whole.

      Delete
  4. Great job, not a character I was familiar with though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. :)

      Definitely a newer addition to the ranks of Bat-foes.

      Delete
  5. While I like the clothing and even the hair you painted, I couldn't resist a frown when I saw the skincolour.
    It's a bit like the skincolour on Beast or Mystique from the Marvel universe, but it's not a colour I associate with a penguin.
    It's not that I don't like it, it's just weird is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wouter. :)

      As for the skin colour - blame DC Comics: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/c/c9/Detective_Comics_Vol_2_20_Textless.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130501165032

      Delete
    2. They seem to go a bit crazy sometimes, as does Marvel.
      I guess it is hard to keep inventing new believable superheroes after such a long time.

      Delete
    3. I suspect that with so many enduring iconic villains, it is hard for newer Bat-foes to find as deep a following as the likes of Joker et al.

      Delete
  6. Must say I'm not a fan of this character ... he freaks me out. I think it's his hair/face color combo. Definitely nothing against your painting skills as your good work on his clothing shows. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FourEyedMonster. :)

      The hair/skin colour combo is a contrast for sure, but one informed by the source material rather than my choice. :)

      Delete