Friday 16 June 2017

Destro (Cobra/Iron Grenadiers)

A year on from my first G.I. Joe project mini, the second finally arrives - my usual snail's pace then!

Destro was nice and quick mini to paint up. I decided to emulate some of the more recent iterations of his colour scheme layout although the mini is modelled after his classic appearance. I have so many projects on the go that this one fell down the priority order, which is the cause for the slow pace. The mini is from a private collection and not commercially available, but I was lucky to get a copy; I decided the replace the pistol with something chunkier and more menacing (I envisage it as a large calibre pistol).

For those who are are not G.I. Joe (or Action Force) fans, Destro is one the bad guys, a weapons supplier to Cobra predominately, but also the leader of his own faction - the Iron Grenadiers.

I mentioned last year that I had been developing a set of rules called Squad Wars, and work on this has resumed - I am now on the third draft and getting much closer to what I want the rules to do, and the feel I want them to create. I hope to get in some G.I. Joe influenced gaming against Brummie before too long!

G.I. Joe Minis Painted
G.I. Joe team: 1
Cobra: 1*
Iron Grenadiers: 1*
Oktober Guard: 0

18 comments:

  1. It's a real pity that sculpt is "not commercially available", PulpCitizen, as I'd otherwise certainly have joined you in an attempt to paint up a number of "G.I. Joe" related minis. Admittedly, I know nothing about said Joe, but your paint-job is so very nicely done on Destro that I certainly want to, and feel the need to paint some models about it too!

    In short, inspirational stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. :)

      The guy commisioining it has a very nice little project going so I am certainly lucky. Growing up I was a big, big Action Force fan which later transitioned into being a GI Joe fan of bits and pieces, but I have always enjoyed the essentially premise. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh! Can you tell me more about Squad Wars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly can Tom! :)

      Squad Wars has been gestating as a rule set for a couple of years, and is currently on its third draft. :)

      The game is a 'generic' (non-IP specific) rules set intended to emulate military action heroes of the 80's and 90'; think Action Force/GI Joe, MASK, The A Team etc.

      As soon as I am happy with it, it will be one of the products I release under the Kitbash brand. :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I really look forward to its release. :0).

      Delete
  3. Fantastic job mate. Looking forward to trying Squad Wars. Work shall begin on my Cobra minions and the rest of the Joes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I look forward to us getting them on the table. :)

      Delete
  4. Really nice figure and paintwork, what's not to love about miniatures based on toys from your childhood. I know of at least one person working on "Mask" related figures and of course Jez and myself have our "He-man" project going on. I think as gamers we cant help but be drawn into recreating the battles we fought as children with our toys.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. :)

      Having the chance to paint stuff like this has certainly reignited a spark from yesteryear. :)

      Delete
    2. "has certainly reignited a spark from yesteryear." - Careful with that, PulpCitizen, or before you know it you'll be painting "D&D" stuff like me!! Where that desire has come from I know not!?!

      Delete
  5. Very nice indeed and glad to see the G.I. Joe project creep back up the priority list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. :)

      I hope to finish a couple more very soon. :)

      Delete
  6. He really looks exactly as he should be.
    A great find!
    I hope you have the focus to complete more minis for this project soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Wouter. :)

      I hope to get a few more finished this month, but time will tell on that. :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete