Wednesday 7 June 2017

The Eye of the Tiger!

Well, that escalated quickly! No sooner than I set course with my SMG Project, than I learn of something called Forgotten Heroes which perfectly dove-tails with my own project  - the only requirement being to produce something in June and following the rules as set out:

  1. The character you create must not yet have had an official or unofficial miniature made for it.
  2. The figure must be in 28mm scale.
  3. The figure must be completed during the month of June.
  4. In your first post, you should provide a bit of detail on the character you’ve chosen and why.


I think #1 is a slight fudge for me as my character never had a mini made while Marvel stuff licensed by Knight Models, and only had a single Heroclix incarnation.
#2 is a bit of a fudge as Knight call their 'scale' 35mm (I know it is not a scale per se....).
#3 is do-able, and for #4 read on....

My character (as can be seen in the top picture) is White Tiger, a character created in the 70's amid the martial arts craze that swept American popular culture. White Tiger (Hector Ayala) was Marvel's first Hispanic hero, and really was only a sporadically-seen character for the next twenty-five plus years. Nowadays his mantle has been taken on by other characters (his sister and niece), and White Tiger is probably an apt Forgotten Hero.

My plan is to use the Black Panther mini as the basis for the character. His gloves and boots will get a little filling with Milliput. His pointy panther ears will be removed and filed down. His panther-teeth necklace will be trimmed back and an amulet made out of green stuff. And if I feel really confident, I may (emphasis on *may*) try to do his boot/leg wraps.


22 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff, PulpCitizen. Absolutely awesome stuff!! The original White Tiger was one of my fave Spider-Man characters back when I was reading B&W weekly issues. Your plan sounds awesome, so my very best wishes with this one - looking forward to seeing the Bootleg straps ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. :)

      The bootstraps will certainly be the trickiest part!

      Delete
  2. Blacj Panther model will be great for this project. Have a fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal - I expect more frustration than fun but we shall see! :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the project! Sounds like you have some fun times ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wouter. :)

      We shall see how I get on. :)

      Delete
  4. Superb news and what a great choice for your conversion - best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome aboard, PC! TBH, they're more guidelines than actual rules and as the instigator of this little project, you have my stamp of approval on your conversion.

    Nice choice of subject. Definitely meets the criteria of a 'Forgotten Hero'. I always preferred this version of the character than the more recent female version.

    I'll make sure Roger is aware of your participation, so you can be added to the blogroll on the main site, unless you've already done so. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have absolute faith that you can pull this one off, but it'd be rude not to say "good luck" to boot. :0).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will certainly be an interesting journey to watch Pulp. Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry. I hope to make some progress this weekend. :)

      Delete
  8. Welcome aboard Leon, this looks like it's going to great, I too don't really like the way all the classic male heroes have to female these days.

    Jez, I am of course all over this already, I have now re-posted this to the FH site.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Dick Garrison. :)

      I have no problem with the new White Tigers, but for me there is something cool about the classic version, albeit in a C-list kind of way. :)

      Delete
  9. I love this idea. I am soooooo jealous I never thought to make a White Tiger. I am a crazed Deadly Hands of Kung Fu fan! Someone needs to make Robert Diamond and the Sons of the Tiger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      I was actually thinking whether there are any good Knight Models analogs for a basis of a Shang Chi last night, but couldn't put my finger on one.

      Delete
  10. Very nice - you really seem to be enjoying your time inventing/re-imagining super-heroes to game with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. Make sure you google 'Indian White Tiger' for some awesome references that you might be able to use! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete