Saturday 14 October 2017

Quarter 3 2017 Painting Summary

Overall I am pretty pleased with my volume of output, in the middle of my low and high targets for July to September, but overshadowed by the amount I painted in the same period in the year before.

I made significant headway into my G.I. Joe Project over the past three months, which was positive, especially as Brummie and myself have now managed to play a few games of Squad Wars to test the rules and iron out the bumps. This month I am taking a bit of a break from the Joe stuff, but I fully expect to carry on painting more next month.

I also painted an Adventurer from the Meridian Miniatures Tooth and Sword range (that Bat Spell Caster below is not giant size - really!), which was pleasing as the range has been untouched for far too long after receiving my Kickstarter pledge.

This also lead to me starting and writing up a third draft of a set up rules for fantasy skirmish adventure gaming - 16,000+ words mainly written in September for that! I hope to get some fantasy scenery done before too long to go with more Tooth and Sword minis.

Finally, astute readers may have noticed an absence of BMG minis in the past few months. This is intentional. Basically due to concerns with how the 'official' BMG Facebook community is run, and specifically certain behaviours of its lead admin (most stuff I won't go into, but stuff that is so bizarre to sound made up in some instances, and just downright wrong in other instances), including exclusion of community members seemingly by whim in certain instances, including myself. Therefore, I am no longer buying Knight Models products, attending their officially-sanctioned   tournaments nor will I be blogging about their products until and if there is a notable change in the status quo. I have had civil conversations with Knight Models on the matter, and I have explained why I will no longer be supporting them or their products while the situation remains unchanged, and they have stated they are considering the situation. I'll miss attending the tournaments and playing BMG against Brummie, but for me it is a matter of principle.

Anyhoo, I am hoping to keep painting momentum through the next few weeks and will hopefully churn out a few more minis.


Painted in Q3 (-7 from Q3 2016)
GI Joe: 13
Tooth& Sword: 1


13 comments:

  1. What a great selection of minis, PulpCitizen, and plenty of inspirational paint-jobs on show. Timber is undoubtedly my fave, as your wonderful posting on him made me scour Ebay for exactly that mini and paint him up - imitation hopefully being the best form of flattery :-)

    Your experience with the 'official' BMG Facebook Page is very interesting indeed, as I lasted all of two postings with them and ended deleting both/as well as quitting my membership because of the trolling I experienced with my General Zod mini. I'm well aware that I'm a tabletop standard painter at best, but even so I couldn't believe the idiotic shenanigans Zod caused. I also regularly post on the Tabletop Minions Painting Showcase, which contains plenty of award winners and all I get there is healthy advice - hence I like posting there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxkleric. :)

      Really sorry to hear of your treatment over there; that is simply inexcusable. Glad you find a more supportive and useful environment elsewhere.

      Delete
  2. Great selection of minis and excellent brushwork!
    I reckon you could organise your own Batman tournament style games, between you and Brummie you must have a wealth of experience, even if it was just started with the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Zabadak. :)

      Brummie and me could do something like that or sure, but it is a matter of principle; that principle is about withdrawing custom and patronage in order to say to the company that disenfranchising fans through enabling the misbehaviour of a lead admin is simply not good customer relations.

      Delete
  3. Lots of great work.

    To be honest, other issues aside, sometimes you just reach the point where you move on from a project. I think I'm pretty mean ch at that point with BMG...I don't have a great desire to paint loads more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieron. :)

      I think KM are a a watershed moment with a number of fans for a variety of reasons.

      Delete
  4. Great stuff! When I see your Joe figures it always makes me wish I hadn't sold all my old Marvel comics so I could take a nostalgia trip and flip through them again. Interesting about the BMG, I'd wondered what happened there - always disappointing when I see things like that happen within a group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor. :)

      IDW Publishing do softcover and hardcover reprints of the old Marvel stuff; the softcover collection is more complete.

      Delete
  5. Sterling work so far this year as we enter the final quarter. I share your feelings over the Knight models situation. To the point were I am dissolving my surplus figures and probably going to sell on the rest of my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I am pretty happy with my output last quarter and Zomtober is helping me get off to a reasonable start for the last stint of the year.

      Delete
  6. Nice that you've gotten so much done in the last quarter. I'm far too ashamed to put out any quarterly report of my own XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FourEyedMonster. :)

      A big part of the quarterly summaries is to motivate myself, and since I started keeping track of things I think it has helped my overall productivity. :)

      Delete