Friday 21 September 2012

Old West Buildings

Building by Sarissa Precision
Okay, been a while since the last update, and this week has seen some frantic painting and modelling. Rob conceived a basic idea for Hallowe'en Madness II, and that immediately kicked me into gear building all sorts of Old West what-nots that I had acquired in recent weeks.

Of those, these buildings were quickly painted using thinned down paints straight onto the laser-cut MDF.

Building by Sarissa Precision
I had planned to undercoat them and paint them up from there, but i then ran with an idea I saw on Lead Adventure Forum, and so settled for painting straight on. With the way the MDF soaks up the paint, it left me with a natural variation of colour that I felt was suitable for the types of building I am representing.

I then picked out some individual planks to paint with a thicker paint to break up the uniformity further. The buildings will eventually have some signage (measure are at hand in that regard!).

Building by Battle-flag
The two apex roofs were part of the kits as bought, while the flat roof had some scrunched up paper stuck on with thinned-down PVA, and a coffee stirrer cut into two halves length-ways and trimmed to fit.

While I was building these, I also tackled some wagons and a gallows, which are all near to finished and so should be posted soon. Or at least soon-ish.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff mate. I agree about how you painted them how the wood soaks up them paint is really effective especially for these Dust bowl type towns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really effective.
    Do you think the same technique would work on thier city buildings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure without trying; I think you would have to pick out more individual blocks of stone/bricks for it to work. Also depends on the colours chosen and how they look on the bare MDF.

      Possibly better to go the spray undercoat route for those buildings.

      The problem is there is not a small/cheap tester building that I can think of. I tested this technique on something very small to satisfy myself.

      Delete
    2. I might try it on one of the warehouse crates

      Delete