Wednesday 31 December 2014

Quarter 4 & Year End Painting Review 2014

Quarter 4 2014
An up and down year to be sure on the painting front. I knew at the outset that other commitments would curtail my painting opportunities, but what surprised me was to what degree that would happen, and late, how I would be able to get a significant amount more painting done by comparison once those commitments were out of the way.

I initially started with an objective for 50 minis, but that quickly changed when I knew it wasn't realistic based on the first few months, especially when I did not paint anything at all in February. The target was revised to 40 and at least I managed to achieve that. Quite a drop from 2013 when I painted 63 minis, but still better than I thought early this year.

Quarter 1: 10 minis (-3 from Q1 2013)
Anima Tactics: 7 minis
Pulp City: 2 minis
Supers: 1 mini

Quarter 2: 10 minis (-3 from Q2 2013)
Anima Tactics: 8 minis
Pulp City: 1 mini
Batman Miniatures Game: 1 mini

Quarter 3: 8 minis (-9 from Q3 2013)
Anima Tactics: 7 minis (well 7 units, technically 11 minis as 1 of the units comprises 5 models, but I count it as 7 based on units)
Batman Miniatures Game: 1 mini

Quarter 4: 17 minis (-3 from Q4 2013)
Anima Tactics: 7 minis
Zombies: 5 minis
SDZA: 2 minis
Pulp City: 1 mini
Batman Miniatures Game: 1 mini
Freebooter's Fate: 1 mini

My 2014 minis - 45 units/49 minis
2014 totals - 45 minis/units
Anima Tactics: 29 units
Pulp City: 4 minis
Freebooter's Fate: 1 mini
Batman Miniatures Game: 3 minis
Supers: 1 mini
Zombies: 5 minis
SDZA: 2 minis

October, November and December gave me a strong finish to the year, and February was a write-off (the Pulp City Kickstarter ran then, and so occupied a lot of time). I had hoped to finish one or two more in December, but was laid low with a heavy cold for a couple of days when I had time set aside for painting, and just didn't feel up to slapping the hairy sticks around.

As for next year, right now I think a target of 50 is do-able, but only time will tell.

In the year ahead I want to try and paint at least 30 Anima Tactics units, and get into a good chunk of Pulp City Supremes that I have not yet painted. I would like to paint to some more BMG/Knight Models stuff, maybe to play in a tournament if I get the chance. In fact, I have set myself some targets for specific minis ranges, and if I met all of those, then that would be more than 50 minis next year, closer to 60, so who knows how things will end up!

Next year I also plan to start Warmachine/Hordes; I have been interested and considering the game(s) for years without pursuing them, and recently thought I may take the plunge. Which has meant getting some new bits and pieces as well as digging out some minis I already had from the previous edition. I have been prepping a few minis for both in the last few days.

Rob and I also want to finally play Freebooter's Fate as we both have playable Crews, and have both started acquiring potential terrain options.

And as for everything else, I assume 2015 will see my usual ad hoc approach to getting stuff done, although Zomtober 2015 is already pencilled in.

12 comments:

  1. All told, I think that it was a pretty ood year for you. Some nice figures in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred. Hopefully next year will be much better again!

      Delete
  2. Some splendid additions to the final tally in the last quarter; looking forward to many more next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Michael. :)

      I am hoping for a successful 2015 to surpass 2014. :)

      Delete
  3. Impressive work, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may be less than last year, but it's still pretty damn good. Keep them coming through 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keiron. The BMG stuff definitely needs some more additions (I am thinking Watchmen; tons of other stuff in the lead pile, but they seem the quickest to get me to a playable force).

      Delete
    2. To be honest. With the three you've already done, you could pick any villain starter box and be able to make a playable force. Actually, with Clayface and Grundy, pretty much any Leader or Sidekick model will get you there. :)

      However, I'd personally love to see you do the Watchmen.

      Delete
    3. Watchmen are likely, although if I can get enthused by a Leader and Sidekick to match the other Villains to 300/350 Rep without having to paint henchmen (Henchmen really don't excite me. At all; well except the Ivy plants...), then that might be a useful tack to take. Any suggestions? :)

      Right now I estimate over 35 unpainted BMG minis, and some more Marvel ones in the dread 'painting queue'.

      Delete
  5. Ivy's a good idea. Her plants should be quick to paint up, are potentially useful for other games (like Pulp City scenarios) and don't take a lot of points (which is good with high cost free agents).

    Ivy, Grundy, Riddler and the 3 plants almost gets you a full crew. My guess is that there'll be a plant blister pack released soon, or you could try to source another plant from elsewhere.

    I've no idea if it would be any good, but at least you'd be free to paint Free Agents as they took your fancy to swap them in and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. :) I had a look at the Bat Builder and thought of Arkham Bane as an alternative, but that means building the bloody thing! :)

      Delete