Friday 22 February 2019

Mer-Man

Mer-Man was always one of my favourite Masters of the Universe characters when I was a young kid, and I am pleased to have painted him up for tabletop gaming as a much older kid!

Ruler of the undersea realms of Eternia, Mer-Man was forced to serve in the armies of Skeletor after his kingdom was destroyed in a battle with rival ocean clans. His allegiance with Skeletor brings him to the surface world more often then he would like. Lurking deep beneath the Sea of Rakash, Mer-Man awaits the evil call to arms of Skeletor!

The miniature is from Quest Miniatures, from their second wave; it is a lot nicer sculpt than then last one I painted (Moss Man from wave 3), and therefore a more enjoyable painting experience - the sculptor of this and the other wave 1 and 2 minis is Boris Woloszyn and I love his evocation of a MotU style, and think his approach is a wonderful fit to the genre (I suspect design choices of weapons were down to Quest Miniatures rather than the sculptor). The only change i made was replacing the spear haft with brass rod.

Finishing Mer-Man brings me to three painted Evil Warriors so far, along with Skeletor and Beast Man. Hopefully I can get a couple more Evil Warriors done soon before turning my attention back to the Heroic Warriors.

Although Mer-Man is often portrayed as somewhat cowardly he also has a history of being an Ocean Warlord, which I have tried to reflect in the rules I did for my personal MotU skirmish game. I need a few more painted up to get started with gaming so it is certainly time to motivate myself.

22 comments:

  1. Fab job on Merman. I do really like the Boris sculpts they are so much crisper looking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate; for sure i think the Boris sculpts are the better ones in the range. :)

      Delete
  2. I was initially not going to get this as I’d already done a proxy, but this makes me want this version. You’ve done an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieron. I do love this one, it is one of my favourites from waves 1 and 2 from Quest. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ivor. :)

      I am really happy with how the colours turned out. :)

      Delete
  4. The colours on him are amazing, a most excellent paintjob you did on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the very kind words Wouter. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Carl. :)

      I am looking forward to having enough Evil Warriors painted to make a group shot worthwhile as they are lovely to paint. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks very much Michael. It was a lovely mini to paint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks excellent! Very clean, well detailed and the colors are spot on. I only wish the mini would have had the coral sword.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doctor merkury. :)

      Yeah, I too would have preferred the sword or at least the golden trident a lot of recent versions have had. :)

      Delete
  8. You did a fantastic job on Mer-Man, so much so that the painted version looks way better than the reference picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the kind words FEM. :)

      Delete
  9. Service gui hang di nuoc ngoai safe, convenient and quick time from 3 to 5 days

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The stainless steel water tank applies automatic roller welding technology
    bon inox dai thanh .

    ReplyDelete